How To Prepare For A Divorce
If you are considering filing for a divorce or have made the decision, in my experience, it is in your best interest to be prepared for your divorce. You will feel more confident, the entire process will be smoother, your results may be better and you will reduce your stress and anxiety over the divorce.
More Than 20 Years Of Experience
I’m Michael Finein, and at my law practice, the Law Offices of Michael E. Finein, I have more than 20 years of experience working with divorce matters. My first recommendation if you are considering divorce is to consult with at least two experienced family law attorneys.
Even if your divorce will be amicable, you need to know your rights and how the process works. An hour consultation with an experienced family law attorney will be well worth your time and a consultation fee.
A Second- And Third-Opinion
Why should you consult with more than one attorney? To begin with, you really want to get several opinions about your case. Plus, you want to find an attorney you feel comfortable with and in whom you feel confident. Your attorney will need to know many intimate details concerning your life and that of your family; you want to be comfortable speaking with them about these matters.
Things To Think About
Here are some of the things you may want to think about before you start your divorce:
- Is mediation a possibility for you and your spouse?
- What’s the best way to start the divorce for you and in your situation?
- In which county should you file your Petition?
- Does it matter which spouse files for divorce first?
- Which spouse is going to move out?
- Are you thinking of living together until the divorce is final?
- If you are moving out, what items should you take with you?
- Are there any reasons you may need to protect yourself from your spouse’s actions?
- Will you have enough money to live on until you can get a court order for support?
- How will you pay for an attorney?
- Are there joint bank or investment accounts or other assets that need to be preserved?
- Do you have the financial information and documentation you’ll need to protect your rights?
- What’s the best way to discuss the separation and divorce with your children?
- Do you need child custody orders quickly?
- What timeshare plan will work best for your and your children’s situation?
- Finally, every family law case is unique and different, what makes your situation unique and what is the best way to deal with those differences?
Divorce Demands Honesty And Understanding
I understand that these are difficult questions that you would prefer not to have to answer. However, getting the answers to these and other questions will help you better cope with the divorce, reduce your stress and anxiety, as well as help you protect your rights and interests. I can help you be prepared for the complexity and uncertainties within the process.
Contact The Law Offices of Michael E. Finein
I can help you get a jump start on divorce preparations. Call my Oakland office at 510-535-2579 or use my online contact form to make an appointment. Evening and weekend appointments are available upon request.